Wiseman Family Practice partners with Urban Roots

Wiseman Family Practice (WFP) is pleased to announce their partnership with Urban Roots. They will be providing pro-bono medical services for all staff and youth Farm Interns in the Urban Roots Core Youth Program, a program that launches young leaders through sustainable agriculture. This includes annual, on-site physical exams for all youth Farm Interns (most of whom live in East Austin near the Urban Roots Farm), as well as medical services for Urban Roots staff members.

“At Wiseman Family Practice, we understand the importance of food to one’s health and wellness,” says Dr. Jeremy Wiseman, MD.  “We are passionate about empowering our patients to improve their health as well as preventing and reversing chronic disease through eating real, nutritious, responsibly grown food,” he continues.  “We support Urban Roots in their efforts to provide this kind of food for our community while shaping young leaders of the future, and we are happy to assist them whenever necessary with their medical wellness.”

This contribution is just one of the ways Wiseman Family Practice continues to support Urban Roots.  In addition to providing medical services for the program, Executive Director Max Elliott was recently featured on the weekly radio show Wiseman Family Practice HealthTalk™  (Sunday’s 11am, 96.3FM/1370AM) to help educate the community about the program.  Podcasts are available for convenient listening here: https://www.wisemanfamilypractice.com/radio-show/.

urbanrootslogo 250 150x150Wiseman Family Practice encourages all Austinites to support the Urban Roots Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program as Urban Roots donates 40% of what they grow to local hunger relief organizations, and sells 60% of the harvest to the local Austin Community.  The Spring CSA season kicks off in early April and there are only a few slots left (30 total per season), so interested parties are encouraged to subscribe today!  Visit http://www.urbanrootsatx.org/food/csa/ to register.

About Urban Roots
Urban Roots uses sustainable agriculture to transform the lives of young people and increase the access to healthy food in Austin. Founded in 2007 as a program of Youth Launch, Urban Roots began the process of transitioning to become an independent non-profit agency in the fall of 2011.

Urban Roots provides paid internships to Austin youth, age 14-17, to work on their 3.5 acre urban sustainable farm in East Austin.  Each year, they have a goal of growing 30,000 pounds of produce with the Urban Roots youth community, volunteers, and staff.  They donate 40% of their harvest to local soup kitchens and food pantries and sell the other 60% at farmers’ markets, through their Community Supported Agriculture Program, and wholesale.

During the 25 week spring and summer youth program, youth Farm Interns develop essential life and job skills while growing food for the Austin community.  Each fall they hire 24 youth Farm Interns, three youth Assistant Crew Leaders, and three youth Agriculture Interns to work the upcoming program year.  Additionally, youth Farm Interns receive a variety of workshops on sustainable agriculture, healthy lifestyles, life and job skills, and food justice issues, including hands-on service at hunger relief organizations.  Through a dynamic and holistic program, Urban Roots youth Farm Interns grow into some of Austin’s youngest leaders, advocating for a sustainable and healthy food system for all.

The Urban Roots Farm is not open to the public except for volunteer days and other scheduled events. For more information about their program, contact them at info@urbanrootsatx.org

Press Contact:
Mary McKeown-Christie
Maven Marketing Solutions, LLC
mary@mavenmarketingsolutions.com
512-541-6520