Recipes From Lauren
Enjoy the following recipe!
Two Lemon Chicken
I love this recipe because it is easy, and the chicken is so moist and flavorful. I also use the carcass to make bone broth* for soup.
3-4lb whole pasture raised chicken
2 whole lemons (room temperature is best)
Sea salt & pepper
Herb blend preferred (I used Herbs de Provence)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
Toothpicks or cooking string
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Wash lemons and set aside.
2. Rinse entire chicken in cold water. Set aside to air dry for ~10 min then pat dry.
3. Rub with EVOO, salt & pepper, and herb blend generously. Inside & out.
4. Take the 2 lemons; roll them on a hard surface (this will soften them) and then puncture 10-20 times with a fork.
5. Place inside cavity and seal shut with toothpicks or cooking string.
6. Tie the chicken legs together at the ends.
7. Place breast side down in a large Pyrex glass pan or roasting dish.
8. Roast chicken breast side down for 30 minutes. Turn chicken over so now it is breast side up.
9. Increase heat to 400°F and roast for another 20 minutes. Decrease heat to 350°F, and cook for another 30 minutes. The total cooking time will depend on the size of the chicken. If you have a meat thermometer now is a good time to use it (165 °F).
[Note: about 20-25 minutes total cooking time for each pound].
10. Remove bird from oven and let sit 5-10 minutes. Carve and serve.
* Follow this link for bone broth recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Leftover-Roast-Chicken-Stock-351900
**Since I have the oven on for over an hour. In a separate pan I roast cauliflower, carrots, onions & Brussels sprouts drizzled with EVOO salt & pepper. These take about 45 minutes to cook.
This article was written by Lauren Colletti, FNP-C at Wiseman Family Practice.